Cedar: The Smart Choice
for Sustainable Wood Fencing
At AVO Fence & Supply we are dedicated to being your “Leader in Cedar.” Cedar is the natural choice for homeowners seeking organic and eco-friendly options for wood fencing and other outdoor structures.
- Durability: Cedar wood endures our northern climate up to 5 times better than other species, with natural resistance to insects, mold, and rot.
- Stability: Cedar wood’s superior stability means minimal shrinkage, twisting, and warping compared with other wood fencing choices.
- Eco-friendly: Natural oils repel insects so cedar wood fencing does not require any toxic chemical treatment to prevent insect damage.
- Natural Beauty:
- Low-Maintenance: While other woods should be painted or stained to be preserved, cedar can be left to weather to a beautiful natural hue (a silky, silver gray) – making it the only decorative wood fencing choice that’s virtually maintenance free.
A Cut Above: Northern White Cedar
We choose to purchase Northern White Cedar (also known as Eastern White Cedar), which grows abundantly in the forests of Northern Maine, Quebec and New Brunswick Canada. Here’s why:
- Sustainably Sourced: Farm-raised cedar trees can be filled with fertilizer and insecticides. Our Northern White Cedar is sustainably sourced, ensuring it has the ability to replenish itself without threat of overcutting.
- Superior Performance: Northern White Cedar ages naturally to a soft, silvery-gray color and will last for many years, without staining or painting. However, stain or paint can protect the exterior of the wood from ultraviolet damage and maintain cedar’s good look for many additional years.